Thursday, April 21, 2011

Can We Breathe Now?

Boy!  Am I glad that is over.   March was one heck of a month around here.   I did post, and I don't want to call it a cheater post, because Grandma Condie was a wonderful part of our life, and we will miss her so much; but we didn't add anything personal.  So, now that we are into recovery mode, and are breathing a little easier, I need to fill you in on March.  For the 2 of you who read this anyway.

For us, March came in and went out like a lion.  There was no lamb about it!

We celebrated Grandma Condie's birthday on the 8th, and had a fun dinner with her and Grandpa.  Little did we know that would be the last time that I, and the girls, would get to talk to Grandma in this life.  How grateful I am that they have been close by for the last year, and that my girls have got to spend some quality time with Grandma and Grandpa Condie.  I just wish I had taken more pictures!

We were supposed to leave for Disneyland on the 12th, but Emalie got sick, and after a trip to the InstaCare, where we were told she had Bronchiolitis, probably caused by RSV, and then a trip to her pediatrician, where, after breathing treatments, Xrays, and a strep test, they didn't find pneumonia or strep, but she had inflamed lungs, and breathing issues.  She they put her on steroids and breathing treatments, and we just held on.  We pushed back our trip a day at a time, hoping she'd get better.  Her fever finally broke, but she was SO whiny and emotional~the doctor said the steroid could do that to her.

We pushed our departure another day, and felt like she was well enough by Sunday afternoon that we left home about 4pm. thinking we'd go to St. George, and if the girls did ok, we'd continue on, if not, we'd come back.  The  minute we get there, Aynsli says her ears hurt, and she is starting to cough.   And Lily had an awful night.  I had said to Chris as we pulled out of the driveway, "Are we stupid for doing this?"  Little did I know!

We got to St. George about 9pm and no sooner had we gotten into our hotel room, then Aynsli said, "Mom, my ears hurt."  Seriously?  What else?  After a not so restful night, we arose and figured we'd better make a plan.  Chris has a cousin who lives in St. George, so we called him, and asked if he would come help give the girls blessings.  Graciously he came, with his wife, and after an hour plus visiting, we packed up and headed to the InstaCare. 

InstaCares are never instant, and after waiting for an hour, and one coughing induced vomiting episode, we finally got back to the exam room.   Aynsli went first--no ear infections, but because of her asthma like history, he put her on an antibiotic, and steriods to help with the coughing fits.  Lily was next, not one, but two ear infections for her.  Antibiotic number two.   I asked the doc if he would just check Emalie's ears,  she'd been to the doctor twice in the last 5 days, but low and behold, an ear infection for her too.  Antiobiotic number 3.  So off we went to Walmart, to fill prescriptions.  You would think that by this point we would have had the sense to turn around and go home.  And we really should have!

But no, after waiting nearly 90 minutes, and $66 dollars later, we medicated our children, and set off on our adventure.  It was 2:15pm Utah time when we left St. George.  We got to our hotel across from Disneyland just before 9pm local time--just in time to see the fireworks.

Tuesday morning we got up and headed out to Disneyland. So did half the nation.  We were unaware that it was the first week of peak season hours, and everyone else had the same plan we did.  We talked to at least 3 different Disney employees who were shocked at how busy they were.  One of them said that they had called in hundreds of employees to help, because they hadn't expected the crowds.  Needless to say, we did a lot of standing in lines, but the girls had a good time, and were very good about all the waiting.  

Aynsli had a blast.  She loved the Matterhorn and Space Mountain, and wanted to go on several other of the rollercoasters.  Unfortunately, our Disney time was cut short when we got a call that Grandma Condie had pneumonia and her lungs were filling with fluid.

Sweet Grandma Condie has been fighting squeamous cell cancer for nearly 3 years.  She had major surgery last May, and we were hoping she was cancer free; but in November, they found it again, and because of its location, (in her mouth) the doctors said that there was nothing else they could do about the cancer.   It was her decision that when the time came, she wanted no life-prolonging measures, so we knew that they wouldn't do anything to fight the pneumonia.  That is why when we got the call, we started our rush trip home:  we didn't know if she had even hours left.   Bless her heart, she hung on until early Sunday morning, March 20th, when she peacefully passed through the veil and into the arms of many loved ones.   Her mother passed away when Grandma was only 11 months old, so I know there was a sweet reunion with her.   I also know that she and my dad have had a chance to talk, and she has given him a hug for me.

We spent all that week with family and funeral preparations.   It was good to be with family, and to celebrate the life of a wonderful and righteous woman who has touched the lives of so many.  However, when it was all said and done, we kind of crashed.  Between sick kids, our trip to Disneyland,  Emalie had a birthday in there somewhere, and Grandma, there hasn't been a lot of breathing time, and I am tired.  And I have umpteen loads of laundry still to be done.

March, I was glad to see you come, but I am glad to see you gone.  Next year can we be a little calmer please?

1 comment:

Ashley Bean said...

Wow what a crazy month. My siblings and I were all together on Sunday for dinner and got talking about you and how much we loved having you babysit us and how terrible we were to you :) We remembered going and visiting your house and your sweet mom. Our thoughts and prayers have been with your family.