Saturday, March 15, 2008
Why is it that we think we are REALLY in charge?
I have a three year old, and anyone who has a three year old knows that life is a rollercoaster. Chris has taught her that daddy is the boss, but she knows that Mommy is in charge! And that is how we go through life, thinking that we are really in charge. How silly we can be sometimes. Granted, we are given the ability to make choices, and often forget that consequences come from choices, sometimes that we never see coming. I thought I was in charge this week, and still think I am, although it is easy to talk big when you are not sitting in the doctors office with half of your clothes missing. We went to the doctor on Monday, as normal has been for the last three weeks. I have been doing weekly non-stress tests for that time as well. Just to make sure that everything is going well. And things have been fine. But STATUS QUO got lost somewhere this week, and I am searching to get it back. My pregnancy is in its 36th week now, and that in and of itself is an amazing feat--anyone who has been pregnant knows that! I have a good friend who swears that pregnancy is about 6 weeks too long, and on most days I seem to find my self agreeing, at least at times. Well, anyway. We go in for my NST, and my blood pressue is a little high--nothing out of the ordinary, but the nurse says, I think I am going to recommend bedrest. WHAT?!?!?!?!? Having had more experience that anyone could ever want with bedrest, my fat old pregnant body shudders at the word. Combine the word bedrest with 3-year old, and you can imagine the internal screaming that begins.... well, my doctor wasn't even in town this week, so I had to see one of his partners that I have never seen before. So we get upstairs and into the room, after all of the "pregnancy necessaries" and the nurse hands me a sheet and says, since you are past 35 weeks, he'll probably want to check you. Great! I knew it was a possibility but it doesn't do wonders for your blood pressure. Being checked is bad enough, being checked by a doctor you don't even know, certainly raises it a notch or two. The nurse had taken my BP and it was way too high, so the doc took it too, and it was still high, but better. He said I think you need to go on bedrest as well, and we need to get an ultrasound to check the baby's growth, and I want you to do NSTs twice a week now, and blah blah blah. So ultrasound was scheduled, and performed--the baby is fine, growth is right on track. A second NST was scheduled and done, and after a lecture from a nurse I'd never had before, everything was fine. See, with my condition, the baby seems to be effected very little. It is more me they are concerned about. And I am grateful for that, making it through this pregnancy healthy for both of us is very important, but 18 months of pregnancy has helped me learn how my body responds to this and I think I do pretty good at handling it. You'd think I was back at 23 weeks and ordering bedrest. If delivering this baby is the solution to this problem, then heck, lets get on with it! I am more than ready for it. So when we go and see MY doctor on monday, missing clothes or not, we are having a chat, and making a plan, and leaving there with a resolution we both agree on! And do you want to know why my blood pressure was so high on Monday in the first place? Because my legs and ankles were so swollen. Do you know why? Because I knew there was a possibility that I would be checked, so I took the arduous time and effort to make sure my legs were shaved!!!! And all that standing and attempting to bend over most certainly had a negative effect on my BP. So I think I am giving up on the leg shaving until I can see my feet again. Sorry Chris!!! : )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment