Wednesday, January 26, 2011

January--off to a good start!

One of my New Years resolutions/goals, which I still haven't gotten around to putting on paper, is to do better at keeping up to date on our blog.  Sometimes that seems  a monumental task in and of itself, and is rarely at the top of my list.   It is always on the list, but seriously, who completes their list every day? 

I figure if I post even once a month, that is better than  what I have been doing, right?

So we've nearly completed the first month of 2011, and if I don't get something posted soon, it is highly unlikely I will.  The next couple months are looking pretty busy--when aren't they?--and organizing my life is an ongoing practice....so here goes.

We started 2011 with a trip to Primary Childrens Medical Center Emergency Room.

My 2 littlest darling daughters went from this:
It was a lovely Saturday morning, and my sweet girls are great helpers.  They love to help unload the dishwasher, and did a great job of it.  We finished unloading, and Emalie went off to play, and Lily stuck around to help me load.  I had just gotten her off the door, and turned to the sink to get a dish to put in the dishwasher, when she starts to scream...


To this:
Because it was "unwitnessed", as the ER put it, I don't know exactly what happened.  This, I do know.  She pulled the bottom rack, and she was sitting on the floor.  At first I couldn't see anything wrong with her, but about 20 seconds later, the first little bits of blood appeared.  She must have pulled the rack with enough force, that the prongs came up and hit her right under her eyes.  Thankfully, it didn't get her in the eye.
I called the doctor's office, who was amazingly still there; but my nurse said she had to go to the ER--because she is so little, if they had to do stitches, they could do conscious sedation on her.  Great, just what we needed!  So off to the ER we went.  Thankfully, it was a quiet morning there--it still took nearly 2 hours--I can't imagine what it would have bee like if they were busy.  After 3 doctors looking at her, they decided to clean her eyes to see if she needed stitches.  It took 2 doctors, one nurse, and a paramedic to hold her down, and even then her leg got loose and she kicked one of them.  Yes, that's my Lily!
Once they got them cleaned up, they decided that there was no need for stitches.  Hooray for small miracles!
They put drops in her eyes and looked at them to make sure she hadn't scratched her cornea or done any damage there, which she had not, and then sent us on our way.  She looked pretty beat up for a few days, but after a week, you could hardly even tell.  Now we are just hoping that she won't have any scarring.
Lily has been informed that she has had her medical emergency for the year, and she is no longer allowed to do things requiring an ER visit.  Somehow, I am afraid, she of the 3, will be the one that does not listen!  : )

1 comment:

Cameron and Heidi said...

How scary for you. Poor Lily. I love you family pics. Your girls are so cute.