Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Never Forget

It has been 12 years since our world was changed dramatically.  For those that can remember, I am sure you do...and will never forget where you were at those moments.  For me, in some ways it has been a whole lifetime since then. In others, the memories are so poignant it seems like just yesterday.  I still tear up and cry when I see pictures or videos, or read stories of that day.

As a little girl my family went to New York City, and went to the top of the Trade Center. I remember the dizzying view from the roof, the feeling of slight swaying, and the incredible experience of being so high, and seeing so much.  We put our quarter in the binoculars and could see the Statue of Liberty.  I remember the long elevator ride up. I remember the busy lobby....the hustle and bustle.  I remember sitting in the car waiting, while my older brother got to go up a second time with my aunt.  I remember looking up at the sheer size of those mammoth buildings.   It was an experience I will never forget.

12 years ago I remember going downstairs to exercise before work...and turning on the TV. I remember the initial confusion as I started to clue in to what people were talking about.  I remember the tears that started to flow, and the shock and the pain as I watched live as the second plane hit the towers.  I remember dragging myself away to get myself ready for work. I remember my mom telling me the first tower collapsed, and watching the second one go.   I remember the concern for for my brother and sister in law, who were in Germany at the time, and how this would effect their return....which was delayed a few days.   I remember the stillness in the skies as all planes were grounded for a day or two. It was somewhat eerie when seeing planes in the sky was an everyday occurrence. I remember the prayer in my heart for those who were hurting. For those who were directly affected, and for those indirectly affected.  If you remember, you were affected.

I remember the trip we made to NYC in 2004 when I was 6 weeks pregnant with Aynsli.  I remember peering into the large holes where the towers used to stand.
 I remember so many people there...looking, listening, reflecting, remembering.
 I remember the reverence about the place. 
I also remember the feeling of resolve. The readiness to rebuild.

And I will never forget.

None of my children were born at that time. It is my opportunity to teach them the how and the why.  To teach them to be strong, to rise above, to rely on the Lord.  To teach them that they are the good in the world, and they can spread that goodness and light in all that they do.  That they can be examples and a force for good. And  THAT will never be forgotten.

It is a day of reflection and remembrance.  A day of gratitude for good.  

We will look forward to the future, knowing we can never forget the past!

1 comment:

Chris said...

Nice Job! I agree 100%!