
This week has been one of much reflection and thought, particularly because of the passing of President Gordon B. Hinckley. Having the privilege of living in Utah, we have had lots of coverage throughout the week about his life and influence. It has been a time for me to ponder my own memories and thoughts of his time as prophet, and how it has effected my life. When we first heard the news on Sunday evening, we became involved in a flurry of phone calls to family and friends, outside the state, to share with them the news. It was an opportunity to strengthen bonds that are precious, and share thoughts with them as well. I received this poem via email from multiple friends, and felt it worth sharing:
Prophetic Passing
I imagine he's running to Marjorie now,
Yes, running, not waving his cane.
I see him embracing his father and mother
While they keep repeating his name.
I see him now meeting his forebears,
Brother Brigham and Joseph are there.
Sweet reunion of prophets, united by service
That only such noble men share.
I see him embraced by the Savior
While Father says, 'Good and well done.
So faithful in stalwart endurance, I welcome
My noble, most excellent son.'
I then hear the ripples of laughter
As he says the reception's just fine,
But he hopes that he'll get an assignment or two
Since there's no need to waste any time.
I can hear his clear voice in the stillness
At the close of this sweet Sabbath day,
Have faith and move forward
there's work to be done.
President Hinckley would want it that way.
Anna M. Molgard
January 27, 2008
Although I have conversed with Chris on several occasions, this is the first time that I have tried to put my thoughts into an organized fashion, and am finding it more difficult than I thought. Although I was already an "adult" when President Hinckley became the Prophet, perhaps it is because I am able to remember those years more clearly, than those of my youth, that he had such a profound effect on me. Perhaps it is just because he was that kind of person, and that kind of presence. I was sitting in the chapel of the Idaho Falls Temple when the news came that President Hunter had passed away. Days later I remember clearly the press conference given when the new First Presidency was announced. As many do, President Hinckley's humor is something that will always be part of my memories. His love for life, his love for the members, and his love for the Savior are also in the forefront. Although I never met him personally, he had a very personal effect on my life, as it was he, and the First Presidency, who granted the sealing clearance that allowed Chris and I to be married in the temple. Remind me to tell you the fulness of that story one day, as it is quite profound.
I guess in many ways, President Hinckley reminds me much of my Grandpa Nickle. They came from the same era, born only 2 years apart, and Grandpa shared many of the characteristics of President Hinckley. They were both hard workers, and loved to work with wood. Grandpa was a carpenter, and taught woodshop in the school system for years. They both had an amazing sense of humor, and you always knew they were laughing with you, because they loved you, and never at you. They both were incredibly knowledgeable, and one of the things that strikes me most, was the ability they both had to quote literature and poetry. Obviously both were well read, and could have a conversation on pretty much any topic with any person. Although my Grandpa never held a "high" church office, he served well in all of his capacities, and I consider him a spiritual giant in his own right. I think it doesn't necessarily matter what position you hold in the church, but how you serve, and your love for the Savior that is important. Both lived that so well.

I don't know that I have done very well at conveying my thoughts, but know this, I am grateful for President Hinckley, for his life, his love, and his message. I am grateful for the encouragement he gave, that has helped me to strive to be a better person. I am thankful for his love of the Gospel, and particularly the Savior, which has helped me to strengthen my relationship with my Savior. I am thankful for my testimony, for the knowledge that I have that the Gospel is true, that the Savior lives, that this life is not the end, and that those who have gone on are doing a great work on the other side. May each of us have the will to do a little better, to stand a little taller, and give a little more as we think of President Hinckley and the examlple that he has been.
2 comments:
Weren't his funeral services amazing yesterday. I will miss him so much!
Post a Comment